Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal Feb 23rd


In my life this week

I FINALLY painted the kid's "wing", the gigantic hallway outside their bedrooms that is the play room.

In our homeschool this week

We had a "light" week because the public schools were on vacation and, well, it just seems wrong to not lighten up a little when all the other kids are.  We go against the grain enough.  We finished up our second and final week in Saudi Arabia, had some hummus (which B-E-G loves and Mister tried.  Petite said it was "too spicy", her code words for "I don't like this."), and chucked formal math and LA.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice

Go to a convention, even if it's just to stare at all the other homeschoolers and feel like part of something way bigger than your "classroom".  It really is quite cool.

Places we're going and people we're seeing

This week our library had a local author/illustrator visit and share how a book goes from storyboard to being published.  Mister and B-E-G participated while I kept track of Petite in the children's room. Mister came home and started drawing up a storm. He's been making comic books all week.  Friends came to visit on Thursday.  Hear that? Friends! We're making friends!

My favorite thing this week

Taking some time away from our usual school schedule and relaxing a little.  Watching Duck Dynasty with Josh.  We watch very little TV.  I got him  the first three X-Men movies for Christmas, which we have never seen, and we still haven't watched them. But we can handle 22 minutes of Ducky Dynasty without falling asleep.

The kids' favorite thing this week

Getting the ants for the ant farm in the mail and watching them get to work!

Things I'm working on

Making a list of things I need for school next year and things I want to peruse when I go to the homeschool convention.

I'm reading

The biography of Amy Carmichael to the kids.  Wonderful. I never read a missionary biography before this school year.  Just loving them.

I'm cooking

Homemade Mac n Cheese for me and the girls tonight.  Josh and Mister have gone out for some "boy time" and will be back for movie night.  And I also made a lovely looking chocolate layer cake.  No special occasion required for a layer cake.  But it sure makes a day feel special.
OO, and I made the frosting with coconut oil. Delish.  I'm in love with coconut oil.  A layer of that and a layer of peanut butter on a rice cake... oo, heaven.  I have no qualms about (good) fat.

I'm grateful for

A husband hand-picked my God for me.  He is really the best.


I'm praying for

Little things and big things.  Friends and people I barely know.

I rewarded my kids this week by

Giving them a break from their math books.


Something I'm ogling or have my eye on


Anything and everything IKEA!


A video or photo




So after watching this, the First Lady raised a few notches in my esteem. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!