Friday, February 15, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal Post V-Day


Join the meme here and see what other homeschool moms are up to!

In my life this week

A mini crisis on the homeschooling front?  Probably more like a mini math crisis.  It's always math.  Why, why, why?

In our homeschool this week

We began our two-week unit on Saudi Arabia.  Very fascinating, the country is completely ruled by the royal family and Islam is the law.  It's just sinking in deeper the similarities and yet sharp divide between this country and the nation of Israel... Both governed by a "higher power", consider themselves a chosen people, each descended from Abraham... so interesting.

Helpful homeschool tips or advice

The crises will come.  I don't think that's the time to completely overhaul your curriculum or anything else.  It's a time to rest, throw off some burdens, and wait it out.

Places we're going and people we're seeing

We had a Valentine's Day party this week with three other families.  We had the perfect amount of kids to not have complete chaos and a lot of fun!  Tomorrow we celebrate my niece's birthday at the roller rink and then I'm taking her and Brown-Eyed Girl out for an afternoon of shopping.

My favorite thing this week

Box day on Tuesday!  Yes, I ordered next year's core plus some other fun stuff!  I squealed with delight when the UPS man carried it in for me!

My kids favorite thing this week

The party!

Things I'm working on

Checking out the teacher's guide to Creation to the Greeks for next year!    I like to have plenty of time to peruse it and know what to keep my eye out for as far as art and science supplies and any fun extras. So I admit- excited about next year but feeling a little overwhelmed.  Working on... just making the most of today?

I'm cooking

Josh was away on business for the past few days, so we didn't have our traditional candlelight dinner for Valentine's Day.  Brown Eyed Girl was ready to proceed without him, but I convinced her we should wait for Daddy to get home.  So tonight's menu is extra special with filet mignon, fruit and bread and brie, roasted garlic potatoes and asparagus, and cherry sparkling juice in our wedding stemware.  Can you believe, however, that I have not come up with a desert?

I'm reading

The Well Behaved Child by John Rosemond.  In fact, I read it in a day.  All I can say is it is excellent, very different.  It's apt to be loved or hated with fierceness.  The "grace" model of parenting is really popular right now.  Addressing the heart issues. I think this book does that, but in a very different way.

I'm grateful for

How bright the sunshine has been the past few days.  It really does make the day "brighter".

I rewarded my kids this week by

Well, it wasn't necessarily a reward, but we got them each a little Valentine's Day present.  A new tee shirt and notebook for the older two and an outfit and Minnie Mouse book for Petite.  They were tickled.

Something I'm ogling or have my eye on

I've always got quite a wishlist going on all my favorite websites. Amazon, CBD, and Vitacost.  I'm currently in the market for some kind of treatment for these awful dark circles under my eyes!  I know there are no miracles, but there must be some helpful product,  right?

A photo or video I enjoyed


Okay, so we all love Grumpy Cat!  I pre-screen them before showing the kids because there's a lot of potty-mouth ones out there, but this is my favorite, 80s lover that I am!  We can't help but get a laugh out of that Grumpy Cat face!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!