Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Falling Off the Wagon

I can't tell you how many bandwagons I've jumped on over the years.  Some new (or old) idea rolls through town, and like a float in the Fourth of July parade, it looks as right as the red, white, and blue.  I could name a few for you.  Let's start with diets. Atkins. South Beach.  Vegetarian.  Now for my gurus.  Mary Pride.  The Vision Forum folks.  The pastor of the church where I got saved.  How bout politicians?  All Republicans, of course.  It doesn't matter who, specifically. If they are a Republican, then I'm on board.  Churches?  Affiliations?  Oh, Calvary Chapel only, of course.  And only ministries associated with them.

Are you feeling sick yet?  I sure am.

But there's more. Vaccines.   Birth control.  Scheduling a baby vs. demand feeding.  Tithing.  Home education.  The roles of women in the church and society.

Let me tell you all about the ride I'm on and convince you to jump on the bandwagon too.  Cause the ride is great. It may not be fun, but it is, after all, headed in the right direction.  And we can feel pretty smug together that we are doing all the right things.

I am embellishing just a little bit here, when it comes to my stance on these issues and more.  But I have found that every bandwagon I have jumped on over the years I have come to regret.  Except for one.

Following Jesus.

Being a follower of Jesus has nothing to do with diet, education, affiliation, politics, breast feeding, birth control, health care choices, or money.

And yet it has everything to do with these things.

But first, the law which sums up the entire Bible.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.  And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

As hard as it is to accept, the only opinion in heaven and on earth that really matters is the opinion of the Lord Jesus Christ.  But here is what we do, as Christians.  We are like the children of Israel who stood at the base of Mt. Sinai, who were content to receive the message of the law through Moses.  The message was this: Don't do this, don't do that.  But we ought to be like Moses, who climbed the mountain to hear from God and to also see God face-to-face.  Moses got more than the law.  He got an intimate encounter with God, and a fuller revelation of who he is.  More than just commandments, this is what Moses heard from the mouth of the Lord.  "The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin..." (Exodus 34:6,7)

In this face-to-face encounter, the Lord gave no rules.  He gave no law.  He only said "I am a god of mercy, grace, patience, faithfulness, forgiveness and love you can never possibly exhaust."

Yes, the Lord laid out some laws.  He deals with sin.  A righteous, holy, and loving God cannot stand by and  let his children hurt themselves and others without stepping in.  Any more than a loving parent can stand by and let their child play with fire.  But the main theme on that mountain?  Love.  The main theme at the bottom of the hill?  Law.

A personal relationship with Christ demands more than following the rules or jumping on the Christian bandwagon.  It demands love.  In his love for me, the Lord gives me a certain path to follow.  When I meet with him face-to-face (though through a glass darkly) he leads me with mercy and faithfulness, forgiveness, and patience.  He leads me personally.  He has led me to be a stay-at-home mom who home educates.  He gave me the desire of my heart when I had three natural births and was able to breast feed.  I stood on the fence when it came to vaccinations until he led me to have many of them given to my children.  He has led me to believe that President Obama is not the anti-Christ (smile now, come on).  He has led me to think that yes, perhaps some gun control is necessary, even though my better Republican judgement says don't let anyone touch our freedom in the slightest.  (oops, may have lost some of you on this one).   He has led me to believe it is just fine if Josh and I only want to have three children.   And he has led me to believe that in the end, he is Sovereign.  Over any and all these things.

I regret being on the Calvary Chapel Only bandwagon.  And the Republican Only bandwagon.  And the No Medication bandwagon. And the KJV Only bandwagon (just kidding, never got on that one).  These were "laws" that came delivered by man.  But when I climbed the mountain to spend time with the Lord, this is not the message I received.

I have firm convictions about some of the things I have mentioned.  And I could spout off about them until I am blue in the face.  But if I do that, and I have not love, then all you hear is "wah, wah, wah, wah, wah" (it's very much like Charlie Brown's teacher).  I apologize for the times that I have done just that.  I don't apologize for my stand, but I do apologize for my lack of love, grace, and mercy. That is all I have ever received from my Father in heaven.  Unfortunately, my tendency can still be to meet with him face-to-face and then hand you the law on stone tablets.  So you must go up for yourself.

You must fall off the wagon and get your directions from him.  He may tell you to get back on. His love for you will lead you on a very personal journey.  Just try not to create a wagon train, okay?

Note to self: You must fall of the wagon and get your directions from the Lord.  He may tell you to get back on.  But  try not to create a wagon train.

Okay Steph?


1 comment:

  1. Sums up so much of what we face in our earnest quest to be Godly wives and mothers. Sometimes I get so tired of it all because all the info is overwhelming and exhausting. Just give me Jesus! :)

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!