Friday, January 18, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal for January 18th


In my life this week

Hurray, I found a local homeschool group!  After being here a year and experiencing the lonely side home educating, I have a teeny bit of hope that things might get better and that we might all start making some friends.

In our homeschool this week

We completed our two weeks in Germany, though it didn't seem like we touched on the country as much this week.  I continued reading Heidi aloud and it is such a phenomenal book.  We all love it. I only wish my voice didn't give out on me so quickly.

Helpful homeschool tips or advice to share

 I keep learning that home school is not a mini version of the typical public school. I'm not sure we really ought to compare the two as much as we do.  They are two completely different institutions.  One is a school, one is a family.  A lot of education happens in our home that is not measurable by the books.  Schools need to measure... I think our family does not need to so much.

Places we're going and people we're seeing

Next week we will be joining some "old" friends for an ice skating field trip.  The kids are so excited to be with other kids.  Seriously, we're all desperately seeking friends!

My favorite thing this week

Taking an afternoon to finish up my 2012 scrapbook and start this year's.

My kiddos favorite thing this week

The fresh snowfall we got right on the heels of the January thaw that took most of the old snow away.  They've been out sledding and snowboarding, getting the most of it.

Things I'm working on

Last night we started designing our school closet on IKEA.  The "closet" is a 10x8 foot room and one wall will hopefully be floor to ceiling bookcases!  Plus a counter, cabinets, and drawers. We're still trying to figure out how to best design it, but all I can say is, YEAH!

I'm cooking

Can I be honest and say I don't want to cook tonight?  I planned a German feast of hot dogs and hamburgers, but can we just go out and celebrate?

I'm grateful for

Being almost...almost...almost debt free.  We'll be paying our truck off soon and then we have nothing but our mortgage.  It's sweet.

I'm praying for

Connections to be made through the new homeschool group.  We're desperate. I mean it.

I rewarded my kids this week by

I rented the newest Ice Age movie for us to watch for movie night tonight.  If we go out to eat on top of that, it's quite a reward.

Something I'm ogling or have my eye on

IKEA seems like a wonderland.  I love the library ladders and think it would be so cool to have one in our new school closet.

I'm reading

Not much lately. I'm so tired at night.  Do catalogues count?

Join the Homeschool Mother's Journal here.  Have a great weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!