Friday, January 25, 2013

Journal for January 25th


Join the meme here.

In our homeschool this week

I finished reading Heidi to the kids and we celebrated by watching the two part movie on Netflix.  The kids loved the book and I don't think they would have been as interested in the movie if they hadn't.  The movie was good but took some liberties, of course, which makes for great conversation with the kids.

We also began our trip to Africa, specifically Kenya, and made some cool baskets.

Have I ever mentioned that I love my job?

Helpful Homeschooling Tips or Advice

I was such a gung-ho mama when it came to  starting home education with my four-year-old son.  I'm so glad I introduced structure to him and we did a lot of fun things, but I just took it way too seriously at his young age.  Now I laugh (inside of course) at mamas who want to start homeschooling their three and four year olds.  They are so serious. Like I was.  And I just want to say:

Read to them.
Give them Play Dough and crayons and paints and glue sticks.
Get on the floor and build puzzles with them.
Take them outside more.
Sing to them.
Teach them as you spend time with them.
Relax and enjoy them.

These are my goals with my littlest one.  I have no intention of formally schooling her until she is at least five.  Of course, I hope she shows interest in reading and math.  But she already has a deep curiosity and desire to learn. I don't want to squash it by getting too formal too soon.

Places We're Going and People We're Seeing


We just got back from an ice skating field trip with friends from all through our past. And lots of new faces. Can I just say how great it was to get out and be with people?  And see my kids meeting other kids?  And just feeling the fellowship of homeschoolers.

Okay, okay, let me put my disclaimer out there.  I don't like to hang with just homeschoolers.  I am an equal opportunity friendship maker!  But there is just a camaraderie, an understanding, and an ease when I'm with other people who do what I do.  I don't have to explain why I homeschool. Even though we all have our different reasons and methods and philosophies, we don't have to defend them.

And I'll also say that yes, socialization is important and we needed it :)

My favorite thing this week


Two things.  Going out with my husband last night to a recognition dinner with his coworkers.  I actually really dreaded going to it.  I was hoping I would get sick and couldn't go.  But I love spending time with him, no matter what and no matter where.

And ice skating today.

My kiddos favorite thing this week


Ice skating today.  Brown Eyed Girl is beyond excited that she made a new friend!

I'm Cooking

Pizza tonight. The usual pepperoni and cheese for the kids. But for Josh and I, I'm thinking steak pizza.. We haven't BBQd all winter (we usually do), until this week. The coldest week of winter so far!  I took a package of steak out of the freezer to grill. And it was actually a double pack with two huge steaks in it. I probably froze them together thinking we would have a BBQ with friends over the summer.  Anyway, we have a ton of grilled steak to eat in the coming days.  Fajitas, steak salad, pizza.... what else?

I'm grateful for

Meeting another homeschool mom today who lives only two towns away!

I'm reading

Making Your Children's Ministry the Best Hour of Every Kid's Week.  Loving it.  Encouraging. Motivating.  Exciting.

I rewarded my kids this week by

Taking them to the Salvation Army and buying them a toy.  We love thrift stores.  Mister got a Muppet Kermit, Brown Eyed Girl a stuffed pink dolphin and a little wicker sofa, and Petite got a Mickey Mouse.

Something I've been ogling or had my eye on

I bought this wonderful book as a gift for a friend's baby shower... and I bought one too :)  The bargain price couldn't be beat.  I first saw the Julie Andrews Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies two years ago, back when Borders was still around. I was shopping for a baby shower gift at that time, too.  I love books, period, and thought this one was lovely.  I love collections.  And I love Julie Andrews.  Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, even her most recent roles and voice overs I love!  So I must admit that the bigger appeal in buying this was the CD that comes with it. To hear Julie Andrews reading some of her favorite poems to me sounds a bit like heaven.  My friend, who just had the baby, has mentioned this book a few times in the past as one she would like to have. So I'm hoping she is tickled by it.

Goals and plans for the weekend

Sleep in tomorrow.
Go to my friend's baby shower.
Stay warm in this arctic blast.

A picture from this week...



Josh brought me home the first sign of spring. Which more than likely came from some greenhouse down south :)  But I am enjoying them anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!