Friday, January 11, 2013

Journal for the First Week of School in the New Year


Join the journaling meme here.

In my life this week

We're back to a state of normalcy since the holidays and I have to admit, being normal is under-rated!  There is nothing wrong with leading a quiet life at home.  Though at least one of my children might argue with this.

In my homeschool this week

We began our visit to Germany. The kids eased back into school better than expected!  Also, I confess, I'm starting to think about next year and all the exciting curriculum ahead for us!  But reminding myself that this year still has lots of excitement still to come.

Helpful homeschooling tips

Just do it!

Places we're going and people we're seeing

It's my desire to go nowhere for a long time, but that's not how it works out!  Next week we'll be taking a day to go ice-fishing and that will probably take everything out of me for a while.  I'm like a bear in winter. I just want to hibernate.

My favorite thing this week


Watching the kids utilize all the fun educational goodies they got for Christmas.  See my post on Craft boxes over on the family blog.  I also loved the hour I gave myself yesterday to work on my Project Life album.  I just feel recharged when I spend a little time doing something that won't have to be redone the next day (you know, like dishes).

My kiddos favorite thing this week

They loved their Pigeon activity books, they are really enjoying me reading Heidi aloud, and the mini "Christmas" we celebrated with Great Grampy on Tuesday.

I'm working on

Wrapping up my 2012 Project Life album.  And guess what????? My new kit comes today!!!!!
Okay, you may not be excited, but I sure am!

I'm cooking

It's pizza and movie night on Fridays, so that is the menu for this evening.  I have truly come to love homemade pizza better than store-bought. Except when it comes to stuffed crust at  Pizza Hut.
I also made pigs-in-a-blanket using homemade dough.  Better than crescent rolls, for sure.
My grandmother got me a subscription to the Food Network magazine for Christmas and my first issue came this week!  So I've got lots of new menu ideas rolling through my brain.  One recipe in there: homemade conversation hearts.  Yes, must try those!

I'm grateful for

All the little ways God provides for us.  My husband has a great job right now, but I love how the Lord takes care  of us outside of that paycheck.  I started a list for the new year of financial blessings.  Things like finding pretzels for 28 cents a bag because the shelf date was a few weeks away. Seriously, that's the Lord.

I'm praying for

Our neighbors. That we would be a light in our neighborhood.  

I rewarded my kids this week by

Hmmm... Movie night is our reward for a week of hard work.

Something I'm ogling or have my eye on

As I said, my latest Project Life core kit.  And I'm thinking curriculum thoughts for next year. Apologia Science has been on my radar for a while.  I think next year may be the year.   

Places I've been online this week

Youtube is so essential to my homeschooling! I'm amazed at all we can see on there.  This week we watched the Berlin Wall come down, the mechanical dolls of the Glockenspiel dancing, and we listened to this fun song.




I visited Europe in high school and our tour guide was German.  He sang us this song when we visited the village for which it is named. It's a German tongue twister... and sounds a bit like a German stein song.  After all they love their beer in Germany.
Oberamergau is famous for it's once-per-decade Passion Play and the murals on almost every building in the village.
We also visited this castle, Neuschwanstein.  Walt Disney modeled Cinderella's castle after this one.  And you can also see it in Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang.

1 comment:

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!