Saturday, December 29, 2012

Apres Christmas Journal



Join the Homeschool Mother's Journal meme!

In my life this week

So many blessings that came with Christmas.  Some lovely, thoughtful gifts, but lots of precious time with all five of us home.  Josh was on vacation and although he spent a lot of time working on projects, it was just wonderful having him here.

In our homeschool this week

The only thing I really did that was schoolish was read to the kiddos from George Mueller.  Otherwise they played contentedly with their new toys and watched probably a bit too much TV.

I am getting excited to attend a homeschool convention this spring.  It's always a shot in the arm to keep on keeping on.

Places we're going, people we're seeing

After our Christmas celebration with my husband's family was cancelled due to sickness, and having Christmas Day completely at home, we were ready to get out of the house and visit!  Today we were able to  have our time with Josh's family and tomorrow we head north to celebrate with my family.  We'll see friends and folks from our "home" church too.  

My favorite thing from this week

Spending the day at home on Christmas, staying in our pjs til noon (actually, the kids never got out of theirs!), taking our time opening gifts, and the peace and contentment everyone had.  Also, staying up later than usual because Josh didn't have to get up at 5 to go to work... so I didn't have to get up either!

The kids favorite thing from this week

Gifts, of course!  Mister said his favorite gifts were his Hero Factory and Lego Ideas book. Brown-Eyed-Girl said her Legos and globe of endangered species stuffed animals.  Petite didn't really say, but I'd guess her kangaroo and doll nursery (which is full of just about everything but dolls!).

Things I'm working on

Goals for the new year. Yes, I'm one of those people.  I love a clean slate, an empty calendar, a whole year of possibilities.  There is so much I want to do and I know that if I fail to plan, then I plan to fail. And yet... the Lord seems to be telling me not to focus so much on doing.  More on this later, I hope, as it becomes more clear to me.

I would love to blog more.
I would love to read more.
I would love to write more.
I would love to just be us more.

I'm reading

Another book in the Shaker series by Ann H. Gabhart, The Seeker.  I really love this series and Gabhart's writing.  Although I can't really compare the two, I enjoy her books as much as I do Beverly Lewis's... and that is saying a lot!

I'm also finishing up my One Year Bible for the year!  And reading commentary on Revelation and the Old Testament  prophets as I go through them.  Exciting stuff!

I'm cooking

Lots of dishes with some added ham have been prepared this past week.  I love Christmas leftovers.  I'm going to freeze the rest, though, and plan a fresh menu once we get home from the last of our holiday celebrations.  I made an amazing peppermint ice cream pie (found here) for Christmas and will definitely be making it again!  Ice cream pies are easy- who knew?

I'm grateful for

A food-filled pantry and freezer.  Thoughtful gifts.  Peace despite circumstances.  The steadiness of God.  The faithfulness of my husband.  The health of my children.  Hot coffee in the morning.

I'm praying for

Friends who just had a new baby.  Wisdom to choose the best over the good as I schedule things for the new year.  Blessings.


This year's picture of us with our best friends, who came for a surprise visit on Christmas Eve.
Well, because she's my best friend, she knew she couldn't really surprise me.
She called to ask if it was okay first :)  
She knows how I feel about surprises.

Happy New Year!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely to meet you and read your post :) Thank you for popping in and leaving a comment. I loved reading about George M when my oldest two were little :)
    Hope your week ahead is one filled with blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, it sounds like you've had a wonderful Christmas season! Isn't staying home on Christmas wonderful? For years we spent the day traveling from one side of the family to another, exhausted, grumpy, but once we got our own home we decided that Christmas was HOME without extended family. My family gets the week before and my husband's family gets the week after. It works perfectly!

    It's great to have goals for a new year! I have a few myself: lose weight and get healthier, pay down bills, have a less cluttered calendar, less TV and more time doing together. Goals help focus us!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!