Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Homechool Mother's Journal for Mid March


In my life this week

It was a busy one, or so it seemed. Any week that I have to leave the house more than, oh, twice, is a busy one.  Doctor's appointment to meet the new nurse practitioner who will care for the kids, ballet class, date night, book club, and a trip home to see my mom.  Oh, and educating the kids, of course.

In our homeschool this week

We began our two week "stay" in China.  Brown-Eyed-Girl has been anticipating this all year.  We're all looking forward to eating at a (not-so) authentic Chinese restaurant at the end of our trip.  I'm also reading the biography of Gladys Aylward aloud to them.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share

This is more like an observance.  As parents we want to give our children the best of everything, but sometimes that's the worst thing to do for them.  Some of the best things in my life have come out of the worst circumstances.

Places we're going and people we're seeing

Yesterday, we visited my parents.  We hadn't seen them since the first of the year so it was long overdue.  Tomorrow we're going to a comedy show at church.  Next week... oh, I'm still recuperating from all the forced extroversion of last week.

My favorite thing this week

A lot of fun things, like going on a date with Josh.  Seeing my parents.  Fellowshipping with the other moms while our daughters had ballet class.  Discussing literature with the other book club members.

The kids favorite thing this week

Visiting Nanny and Pop-Pop and seeing old friends there.

Things I'm working on

Finding more and new recipes and meal plans  I am seriously always cooking.  A day without cooking (like yesterday) means the next day has no leftovers to eat for lunch, maybe no bread, maybe no snacks. Since we've started the Wheat-Free Experiment, our pantry is not stocked with snacks and the freezer doesn't hold extra loaves of bread.  I have to constantly be a step ahead of everybody else so that I have an answer to "Can I have something to eat?" And these kids are always eating! Especially Mister, growing boy that he is.  I think I'm venting right now.  I probably need to add another post to the Wheat Free Experiment series. But, anyway, I'm working on filling the refrigerator and pantry with food.

I'm cooking

Right now, our St. Patrick's day corned beef is boiling on the stove. Tomorrow will be too busy to enjoy it, so we're having it tonight. So "What's for dinner?" is solved for today.  I'm also boiling clementines in hopes of making Nigela Lawson's clementine cake, as seen here on the Smitten Kitchen site.  I'm going to modify it a bit, so hopefully it still tastes good.

I'm reading

I just finished Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers for book club.  Right now, the group is doing a series of mysteries. This was a fun one, somewhat comedic, but wise with great style.  Sayers is quite an interesting person and this book is autobiographical in some respects.  The group is quite large and I am the youngest one, I think.  The librarian who heads up the group is about my age.  I just love talking about books.  Our next one is The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammet (great name) which I've already begun and I think it will be another fast read.  The group is decidedly liberal but I really love hearing other people's take on things. If nothing else, we have common ground in love of good books.  I feel there is respect here for ideas.

I'm thankful for

A husband that let's me think for myself.  Though I love and respect everything he thinks too.

I'm praying for

This family.  I am weeping with them as they weep right now.

Something I'm ogling or have my eye on

Paint colors for the school room/library.  I've been a Pinterest addict this past week looking for ideas.  I'm leaning toward a teal color that is more blue than green.  I'll know it when I see it.

Picture, quote, video to share


I don't know, this is just my quote, my thoughts.

Death is not the end.

I'm sure somebody else has said it, but as I think of the Kelley family, I'm so glad it's true.  They will see their little girl again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!