Tuesday, November 27, 2012

No, Not Now.

Somewhere once upon a time I read something that went a little like this:

Say yes to your kids as much as you can.

Isn't it so like me to be quick to answer "no" to their requests?  They are always asking for things, whether they be basic necessities like a cup of water or indulgent things like a piece of candy.  It doesn't really matter what it is, they just always want something.  I get weary of it, so sometimes I tune them out.  I don't even really listen to what it is they are asking for.  So the first word on my lips when they say "Can I....?" is a quick, often absent-minded "no".

But I want to be the yes mom.  I want to take very opportunity I can to give them a yes and not a no- if there is no reason why I need to say no. I'm not talking about over-indulging my children, just sending them the message that every good thing at a good time is a "yes".

It reminds me of my current "season" of life.  I'm calling it the "No, Not Now" season.  I go to my Father in Heaven and say "Can I....?" and I keep getting the same answer.  No, not now Stephanie.  It really stinks to hear "no" all the time.  I've got a list of specific requests, and the answer is the same for all of them.  I've got some not-so-specific requests.  The answer seems the same.

No, not now.

But this is what I'm learning.  God's not just giving me a "no".  It's a "no, not now."  By answering me this way, He tells me it just isn't time for what I'm asking.  It's not a no for all time, just for now.  And the thing I can be sure of is that my perfect Father in heaven, giver of all good gifts, the one who has made all things "yes" in Christ Jesus, doesn't give out nos unless he has to.  A no means only a few things coming from God- that what I am asking for isn't good for me or that he's got something so much better for me than what I'm asking for.  At a better time.  In a better way.

He doesn't say no because he's tired of me asking.  Quite the opposite, he never gets tired of me asking for anything. He doesn't tune me out.  He doesn't care if I'm asking for water to drink or candy to eat or a new car to drive or for things that go way deeper than that.

As a mom, I want my nos to be that same way.  Not automatic.  But for a reason.  Because there is a promise of something better.  Or because what they want just isn't good for them.  I want to teach them how good God is and take every opportunity to say "yes".  Even to a piece of candy now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!