Thursday, August 17, 2017

On Charlottesville

My heart has been heavy this week over Charlottesville- that white supremacist rally that escalated and ended in the death of a young woman.  It's the hatred, the polarization, the politicizing. It grieves me so deeply.

But most of all, I am saddened by the division among believers, members of the body of Christ, when it comes to this outward display of racism.  In my mind's eye, our only response should be outright, unequivocal condemnation of this event (which is really an ideology).  Our words should say, "We are sorry. We weep with you.  We love you.  Lord, forgive us for such an atrocity against your dearest creation."

Instead, we caved to the media hype, and the words that came out were defensive, argumentative, and much like the President's.  "Hey, this is a shame, but...."  Excuses.  Defending memorials, political positions, our own ideologies.  Not standing in love and support for the hurting, but minimizing it.  Not being like Jesus.

I am heart broken over this.  The only record we have of Jesus's life is in the only book we call Holy, the Bible, and I never once saw Jesus defend a political stance or party. I never once saw him make excuses for hatred.  I never once read that he told us to defend ourselves. In fact, he set the highest example for us by not answering back his accusers as they were convicting him of dubious "crimes" before crucifying him.  He never once declared himself "not guilty" though it was true.  We cannot say the same, even when it comes to racism.  But instead of owning the sin's of our nation, instead of taking the hits from the media, we fight back.

I expect to be divided from those who scorn the gospel, but I don't expect it among those of us who claim Jesus as our Savior.  As a body, we are more and more polarized, and though it may be futile, I strive to figure out why. I pray, I seek the Lord, I seek His Holy Word.  Yes, of course we have differences of preference and some differences of interpretation- these should be minor things.  Drinking, dress, order of worship. But is there any leeway in how we view people, created in God's image?  Each and every one of us, regardless of gender, race, religion, nationality?  Shouldn't we be quick to defend life, no matter what?  Instead, we defend our politics.

I want to own my anger and frustration at some of my fellow Christians because of the things they have said and done and written for all the world to see, and those who have backed them.  I am angry.  Actually, I am heart-broken, and that leads to anger.  And yet, I want to humble myself and recognize that most of these people love Jesus dearly.  I want to see them as He does, I want to give them grace, and not harbor resentment in my heart.  I'm struggling with this.  I don't want to think I have it all figured out, and everyone else is wrong.  But I think we are so far from the gospel sometimes.  And we are losing a battle, not for America, but for eternity.

Friends, I know we have many fears for our nation.  I have more fears for the body of Christ.  We belong to Jesus and I think it is long past time to act like it.  If we are led as lambs to the slaughter, so be it.  We are in good company.


"He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth."  Isaiah 53:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!