Thursday, January 8, 2015

I've Got a Date

I am officially in my third trimester!

Every week of this pregnancy seems like a victory, and has that strange sensation of going both fast and slow at the same time.  I am in limbo- I want to enjoy the time remaining, but I am also anxious to make it safely- and without drama- to the finish line.

Today I had another doctor's appointment and another sonogram to check the location of that pesky placenta of mine.  I am almost 29 weeks gestation and it had been about seven weeks since my last ultrasound.  When we last checked, the placenta was fully centered over my os (the medical term for opening which sounds less revealing than the word "cervix".   When you're pregnant, it seems all things are a "go" to talk about.)  Today's appointment began with a sweet glucose cocktail that tasted like Hawaiian Punch and then another precious view of my baby.

First things first, the placenta hasn't moved a millimeter.  But it has grown incredibly in size. I was amazed, and alarmed, at how much bigger it is than when I last saw it.  I don't know why the size of it upset me, but I started to feel queasy and hot and out of breath. It was probably the glucose cocktail, combined with laying on my back for the ultrasound.  Thankfully the sonographer caught on and had me roll on my side.

 I admit, I really didn't expect that the placenta would move... nor do I think it will.  The sonographer said it looks like I am the less than 1% of cases when the placenta doesn't move.  It is a complete previa.  And again, that placenta is gigantic.  I'm reminded that with each of my three babies, I've had giant placentas (well nourished babies, my midwife always said).

So, even though I expected this news... and I've expected that this pregnancy will end in a c-section... I was disturbed by all this.  Partially, again, I wasn't feeling well from the glucose drink.  But then I heard the sonographer utter the word "acreta".  That's when the placenta attaches to your uterus. That's when they can't remove the placenta without removing the uterus.  That's when I start freaking out.

No, she wasn't saying I have this condition.  But she was looking for signs of it, admitting, however, that it is very hard to diagnose.  In my favor, I have never had a c-section or any other type of uterine surgery, so this makes my risk very low.

But I'll admit that things are feeling more real now.  I've been reading up, preparing myself for a c-section.  What it entails, what I can expect in recovery.  I don't like what I read.  But I like to be informed.  After gathering as much information as I could handle, I decided to switch gears and start planning for the positives: a new baby!  Gosh, I've had three of them before, but somehow I've forgotten what a baby needs.  Or maybe, after three, I realize how much they don't need.  I've been collecting onesies and gowns and jammies and diapers.  A sweet friends gave me lots of her little boy's outgrown baby clothes and blankies.  I bought an oversized purse at Goodwill to use as a diaper bag (I never used all those diaper bag pockets).  I've also been reading up on breastfeeding, something I truly love doing and something that cheers me right up when I think about this little guy arriving.

In the end, I pray for a healthy baby and to be in good enough medical condition to fully bond and adore on him after his birth.

Thankfully, he looks great big and healthy, just over three pounds thus far.  Because there is no way he can get out "naturally", his Birth Day is scheduled for March 6th, at 37 weeks gestation.  So I've got a date with the OR.  I'm praying he is in the seven pound range at delivery, but again, I just want us both healthy enough to love and snuggle unhindered.

I mentioned before that I didn't- and don't- expect the placenta to move. I've heard of placentas moving as late as 36 weeks, so it is a possibility. And I do not doubt for a moment that God can move it in an instant.  But I have also felt all along that this is a journey the Lord wants to walk us through.  Yes, the circumstances are becoming more real and the details more unpleasant, but what doesn't change is the peace I have.  I was talking to Josh about this on the way home.  If we never go through anything that challenges us or our faith... we are weak and often without compassion for others who are facing hard circumstances.  We may have a lot of words to offer, but little experience with God's faithfulness ourselves.

I would ask for your prayers for a few specifics:

That the baby won't arrive dramatically, before his scheduled delivery.  (After Josh told our doctor I was alarmed by the size of the placenta, he said it is actually a really good thing as it better distributes the weight of the baby over my cervix.  So this turned out to be good news.)

That he will be fully developed and able to breath on his own when he is born.

That my c-section will be undramatic, without the need for a blood transfusion or, worse, a hysterectomy (the bottom of the uterus does not contract on it's own, so excessive bleeding is not unlikely).

That I will recover well and be able to nurse and bond with baby soon after his arrival.


After all today's happenings, I got to have a lunch date with my husband at an Italian cafe my brother recommended.  I thumbed my nose at the glucose screening by getting a giant white chocolate and lemon bar.  I took a little nap once I got home.  I'm nursing a nasty sinus headache right now, but a lavender and eucalyptus steam bath helped a bit with that.  Now I'm going to stay up late with the kiddos on a school night and watch some silly Netflix as we all five snuggle together and keep warm on this cold winter's night.


We've got eight weeks to go til we meet this little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!