Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Debate


I didn't watch the debate last night between Ken Ham (The Answers Man) and Bill Nye (The Science Guy). If you don't know what I'm talking about, it was a creation vs. evolution debate. Okay, I caught the last minute because in my search for some information via Google, I clinked on a link from the Answers in Genesis site and it rerouted me to the debate. Anyway, that's all I saw. The last minute, Bill Nye giving his closing statement.

Only a few of my facebook friends seemed to be watching, or making commentary on it anyway. None of my non-Christian friends made comments so I assume none of them were watching.  So here's what I think: we need to be careful how we come across when we talk about this debate. Because I fear this creation vs. evolution issue is one that hinders people from entering the kingdom of God- and not in the way you might think.

To be a born again Christian, you do not have to be a creationist.  You do not have to be young Earth.  You don't have to take Genesis literally.  In fact, all you must do is be born again. Believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins, repent of your sins, and make Him Lord of your life.

That is the gospel. That is salvation.  Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

After that, the Lord will deal with you as He wills, and your primary calling in life is to listen to Him.  If he wants to change you from an evolutionist, He will and He is more than able.

But first things first. You must be born again.

I feel, sometimes, that these debates put the cart before the horse. As a person who always took the creation of the world in six literal days by faith, sure, I have an easy time believing it's true.  And since then, I've learned a lot about science that, in my opinion, proves it is true.  It's fascinating how it all makes sense scientifically.  And yet, it takes faith. To believe in a Creator God, in Intelligent  Design, there will always have to be an element of faith.  Not blind faith, but faith none-the-less.

My fear is that our assurance of these things, either by faith, fact or a mixture of the two, leads us to arrogance.  Arrogance that we have all the answers and these evolutionists are idiots who refuse to believe.  We hear the same debate and are blown away that anyone could side with Bill Nye. In our opinion, he lost.  He failed. He's an idiot.  And we send that message all over social media and do you know what it does to lead anyone to Christ through the blood of the Lamb?

Nothing.  In fact, it seems to have the opposite effect. We are not wooing people with clever arguments and our assurance of truth... we are preventing them from entering the kingdom by our lack of love.  By our arrogance. By our failure to recognize that this all takes an element of faith, regardless of all the fact, and that the only way to faith is through Jesus Christ.  And the people we're trying to win with these creation vs. evolution arguments most likely do not have faith in Jesus Christ.  And we're sneering at them. Jeering at them.

I'd rather say, You know what, you don't have to believe in this to become a Christian. You can be an evolutionist and be a Christian.  Don't let this keep you out of the kingdom of God.

In closing, let me say this:

I owe a debt of gratitude to Ken Ham.  My science-smitten, engineer husband was an evolutionist in college.  He was persuaded to go to an Answers in Genesis conference on campus and what he heard astounded him and when he left and when he researched it, the science of creationism made sense to him. And that did lead him to the Creator, to a life-changing relationship with Jesus Christ.  He is personally passionate and extremely knowledgeable about Intelligent Design, having read scholarly works far more complicated than Ken Ham has ever written.  Because of this, I see a place for ministries like Ken Ham's. Because people do have questions and it's good to have intelligent answers.  The Lord can use these questions to draw people to Himself.

My concern is that our lack of love, grace, and compassion for those who lack faith is keeping them from the more important matter- their relationship with Christ. I realize it may take more faith to believe in evolution than creation for some of us, but there is a world out there dying without Christ.... I'm sorry, I think the issue is irrelevant when it comes to that. Let it be a path to Christ, but not the door.


"Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;  But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot."
1 Peter 1: 18,19



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!