Monday, May 13, 2013

Treasures from the Retreat

I just spent a wonderful weekend at a ladies retreat, soaking up the treasures of God's Word with girlfriends, cups of coffee, and yes, chocolate.  These are some of the simplest joys in my life- rising up early to spend time reading my Bible, sipping a strong cup of coffee (in a giant mug) and what a bonus joy to be among so many "God-fearing women".  Our speaker was my very favorite Debbi Bryson, a woman just so full of love and encouragement and the Holy Spirit, I just long to be like the Jesus I see in her.  She shines Jesus- the Jesus that isn't frugal with his blessings, the Jesus that hunts down the hurting and the sinful, the Jesus that will transform your life.

There is always an expectation that God will meet with you at a retreat like this- and there should be.  That's why we retreat from our everyday lives and go to these things. To hear from the Lord without the distraction of the dirty pile of dishes, the phone ringing, and cries for mommy.  Though we still find plenty of things to distract us from what matters most...

 I can't say that I had an earth-shattering encounter with God over the weekend, but I certainly came home with my cup full and overflowing.  One thing I've learned over the years is that I don't need to rely on a retreat to meet with God.  I get to meet with him every day and every day is an opportunity for something earth-shattering to happen between us.  In fact, I think that is how He would prefer it.  The daily time spent together is where intimacy is built, much like in marriage.  It is the daily where we learn the little things about our spouse like how they take their coffee, how their day was, what's bugging them.  Occasionally, rarely, we have a getaway, a night or two alone, and it's glorious.  We rediscover how much we LIKE each other. We get to talk without interruption from the children. Intimacy is unhindered.  I wish every day could be like these getaways, but the truth is we have to keep doing what we can keep doing...  and we can't escape every day.

Not with our spouse and not with the Lord.

A relationship is built day-by-day.

So I wasn't offended that God didn't give me earth-shattering news while at this retreat. He surely swept me off my feet as I worshipped him and as the Word of God was opened and new treasures revealed.  I brought a few questions to him that He gave me answers to.

One: Do you want me to have another baby?  Am I ignoring you? Am I missing your call?
 Answer:  Don't stress, girl.  We're together every day. If I want you to know something, I'll tell you and you won't miss it.

Two:  What do you want me to do?  What is my destiny?
Answer: There's a lot you don't know yet, but one thing I want you to do is teach the younger women and be taught yourself by older women.

Three:  Why'd you make me this way? Why'd you make me a leader?  Cause it seems like we need more followers.
Answer: You are fearfully and wonderfully made and I made you on purpose and FOR purpose. Just you hold on and see...

Isn't the Lord so good?  He is just so sweet to me.  He loved on me and whispered in my ear sweet-somethings while I was away with him, things that help sustain me through the dailiness and remind me, Oh I sure do LOVE him still.  He's so good to me.  

It gets me thinking that a relationship with Jesus is not meant to be hard.  So often I find myself straining to hear him, but only when I'm pressing a certain topic.  When I relax and come to Him open to receive anything, I always receive.  I stress over things that aren't stressing Him.  Like babies.  He's not a God of numbers... He's a God of Wonders.  He's not more pleased with the church of five thousand than he is the church of 50.  He's not more pleased with the family of five than he is fifteen... and counting.

A relationship with Jesus isn't meant to be accessed occasionally.  There's no ritual to go through before entering his presence.  All he really wants is me.  Even if it's been weeks since we last talked, we can pick right up again... no shame necessary.  But, oh, I miss him when I'm away.  I really do.  The most exciting part of my day is the time that I open up my Bible and receive those wonderful treasures inside it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments (so long as they are nice?) Talk to me, people!